I want to be a beekeeper.
I know that probably sounds insane.
But let’s analyze this from a logical perspective:
1) This is me we are talking about
2) I am not necessarily sane
3) I got chickens and then needed something new to add to my pretend farm
4) I got rabbits and now I need something new to add to my pretend farm
5) You get to wear a space suit when you are a beekeeper
6) You also get to wield a smoke gun
7) Bees are one of the single most ecologically helpful things you can raise
8) They will help with my garden
9) Did I mention that there are space suits and smoke guns involved?
10) Research has revealed that Morgan Freeman is rumored to be a beekeeper
So I saw this ad on Craigslist today giving away a free bee colony, complete with supplies and help setting it all up. Yes, really. I was a little freaked out by calling a random stranger, but after some conversation I discovered this guy not only SOUNDS JUST LIKE MORGAN FREEMAN, but he also knows a LOT about beekeeping and transporting bee colonies. Between being lulled by the Morgan Freeman voice and my deep desire to wear a space suit, I didn’t stand a chance.
Winter is not the time to move a bee colony, so the Hubbster and I will be embarking on this new insanity come springtime…
Note that I am not going to get this stuff alone. I am fully aware of the freaks on Craigslist… 🙂