Today marks the fourth day I’ve been stuck in bed with this awful cold/flu/whatever-it-is. I have managed to spend most of the time knocked out and asleep, thankfully, but I have reached the point now where I can’t sleep any more.
Given my current expertise on the subject of staying entertained whilst stuck sick in bed, I thought I might give you all some tips.
- Always lose your voice. This way you can force your family into an unexpectedly fun game of charades as they try desperately to figure out what the heck it is that you need.
- Do not succumb to the temptation to delve into a Netflix marathon just yet. Doing so will quell any and all creativity you may glean from your excessive medicine taking.
- Drink many hot toddies. By imbibing thusly, you can be sure that you are easily entertained without having to admit you’re just drunk. Not sure how to make a hot toddy? Here you go. Erin’s Hot Toddy Recipe: Take a mug. Line the inside of it with honey. Put two capfuls (CAP-fuls, not CUP-fuls!) of lemon juice in the bottom of the mug. Add a dollop of maple syrup, a little bit of vanilla, and a dash of cinnamon to the mug. Then add a shot of whiskey to the mug. Heat enough water to fill your mug up the rest of the way, stir, and drink often.
- Look up really stupid international commercials and music videos on YouTube. It is important that you wait until you have repeated step 3 a few times before you begin this step. If you begin this step prematurely, it will not be nearly as effective.
- Share your most entertaining findings with me here.
- Drink some more hot toddies.
- Go back to sleep.
- Repeat the process again.
Some of my best finds (apologies — I cannot embed videos here because I am too cheap to pay for an account that allows that, so you’re stuck with just regular links):
This Indian commercial advertising what appears to be an instant rice or cake mix which reminds me an awful lot of my favorite Kung Fu film.
The Japanese Banana Guy commercial never gets old. What is going on in Japan? I don’t feel like I could be that enthusiastic about anything at this point (except perhaps another hot toddy).
This oddly long and confusing commercial from Thailand. Four minutes? For one ad? Holy moly!
Or how about this other Thai commercial which is rather tragic?
Anyway, I hope you all stay healthy, but if you’re unfortunate enough to catch what I’ve got, maybe some of these suggestions will help.